Board logo

NUS DEMO - IMPORTANT
jazzy - 3-12-2002 at 14:12

Hey Guys! NUS Demo is tomorrow and it's really important that we get as many people to come on the march as possible. If you didn't already know, the Government are planning to introduce top-up fees meaning that we could be paying as much as £10,500 for our education next year. That figure was one suggested by Imperial College London so don't think that nothing will happen - it IS happening and we need YOUR help to make sure the bastard Government don't get away with it.
Tickets are available from SU Reception now for the bargin price of £2 which gets you return coach travel to London, a chance to protest and then a couple of hours to hang in London should you so wish.
This demo is of more importance than any student demo before. Education is a right, not a privilege and we need to let the Government know that.

Rant over....

xjohnx - 4-12-2002 at 11:10

is there anywhere we can set up a political answer to this ???? should there be an online opinion poll is there one

sorreee i can't go i have one big essay to do and an essential lecture i apologise i feel reel guilty 'bout this. mind you i am not a 100% fan of direct action

ariel - 5-12-2002 at 19:05

too bad for those who didn't go to the NUS demo, it was quite good, except for NUS stewards links arms with police to not let students through. we still managed to block traffic on waterloo bridge for almost an hour.

upcoming demonstrations in london:

THIS SATURDAY - support demonstration for the fire fighters.

FEB 15 - anti-war demonstration that is part of a europe wide day of action.

be there or be square.

dunnerz - 5-12-2002 at 23:27

i'd rather not, if it all the same to you

i'd rather start up another demonstration for fire fighters (i dont agree with stricks...so they havnt got my vote)
[i am not getting into a political debate on this forum - i spend enough time winding people up with the musical ones]

here is my idea
- ban smoking - the biggest cause of fire

yeah, everybody stop smoking

we can cut fires - then firefighters have nothing to do
-cant complain about not being paid enough, cause they wont have to do anything

problem solved
if only everything else could be that simple

Matt Paradise - 6-12-2002 at 02:30

Quote:
Originally posted by dunnerz
i'd rather not, if it all the same to you

i'd rather start up another demonstration for fire fighters (i dont agree with stricks...so they havnt got my vote)
[i am not getting into a political debate on this forum - i spend enough time winding people up with the musical ones]

here is my idea
- ban smoking - the biggest cause of fire

yeah, everybody stop smoking

we can cut fires - then firefighters have nothing to do
-cant complain about not being paid enough, cause they wont have to do anything

problem solved
if only everything else could be that simple

I can't even begin to explain what's wrong with that. well ok, I'll have a go.

Firemen get a very cheap, basic starting rate for their pay. Yes, I know they do a three day on, two day off thing. So what? If I had to fight fires, run into burning buildings to rescue people i'd want some f'ucking time off, plus better pay- they're risking their lives to save people, sometimes fuckin' really stupid people who've caused a fire by being a fuckin' retard. Remember- they're on call at any time during these three days, they could do nothing, or they could be out fighting fires for nearly 3 solid days. Of course they deserve a raise. But then so do nurses, and teachers and a lot of other public sector workers. Alas, there's not enough money to go round...
I say we need a complete government overhaul (we're stuck with labour for a long time- but then who else could we realistically have? They're all the same. Vote liberal next time.), that looks into public spending and re-orders it, i'm sure the currenrt method is inefficiant, especially when you look at all the 'fact- finding' trips ministers go on, massive wage increases, most of them do far less than a fireman on an average day.

I'd like to see an attempt to ban smoking, if only to savour the sight of all those smokers going without their regular does of lung cancer. (are you reading this, Rose?!?!) Pure hilarity in a bottle.

How can you not agree with strikes? How else are the firemen going to get their voices heard, it's every union members right to strike for a decent living? Although I do hate strikers who bully non- strikers, that is disgusting. Some workers cannot afford to strike, they live on the breadline as it is.
I regret i couldn't attend the NUS demo, I had a mountain of work to try and get through, and had been up practically since Sunday. London would have killed me.

dunnerz - 6-12-2002 at 14:24

yeah

all public services should be paid shit loads more than they get ...but as you said, not enough money to go around
...which leads me to my second revoultionary idea.......cap footballers wages and give a % to nurses, firefigheters, etc....yeah that would work!

i dont agree with the strikes, because of the bully tatics that they employed.....they didnt even allow the reserve fire force to use the equipment and some fire fighters left the picquet line to help bigger fires/incidents, and they wont talk

When those fire fighters joined the fire force, they agreed to provide a public service - to save peoples lives - those lives were endangered - no money is worth that.

also
Quote:

How else are the firemen going to get their voices heard, it's every union members right to strike for a decent living?

surely its the unions fault for the wages getting in such a state in the first place - if the union worked well - it would never have let the wages get that bad!!

anway work to do!

xjohnx - 6-12-2002 at 14:49

how are peole getting to london to support fire fighters, train? if so i have no money...how getting back when?, where?etc... more details needed.