Board logo

new andrew wk
i am sam - 15-7-2006 at 14:43

flux blog (fluxblog.org) have a new andrew wk track up. it's pretty fun, but doesn't sound especially sound like awk. still, the spirit of it is there. and the mini review of the new album sounds good. especially the fact there is a song called 'don't call me andy'. i've ordered it from japan, because i got paid yesterday and am feeling flush.

jesus - 16-7-2006 at 15:56

Hmm. The song is really not that good at all. What's more, the artwork on his official site is terrible. Three albums between now and the end of next year? Japan-only releases? Suddenly it's all going a bit Wildhearts. I think this is where I use my better judgement and get off the good ship AWK.

i am sam - 24-7-2006 at 16:36

well it arrived today. and because i'm nice....

andrew wk- close calls with brick walls

anyway, i have to say i sat aghast on my first listen. but i feel i may have been too quick to judge as it was certainly better second time around. i'm not sure if the production is quite as good as the other two albums (although i may have just been listening to it on a shitty stereo) but there's certainly a few good tunes on there in the familiar andrew wk style.

good lord though, the artwork is appalling. but on the plus side i did get a nice japanese lyric book.

i am sam - 24-7-2006 at 18:02

ok. i've decided. this album rules.

Mercury Rising - 25-7-2006 at 06:50

Quote:
Originally posted by i am sam

well it arrived today. and because i'm nice....

andrew wk- close calls with brick walls

anyway, i have to say i sat aghast on my first listen. but i feel i may have been too quick to judge as it was certainly better second time around. i'm not sure if the production is quite as good as the other two albums (although i may have just been listening to it on a shitty stereo) but there's certainly a few good tunes on there in the familiar andrew wk style.

good lord though, the artwork is appalling. but on the plus side i did get a nice japanese lyric book.

I've been listening to 'not going to bed' a lot recently and really enjoying it, and I'm looking forward to listening to the whole album, thank you sam.

jesus - 25-7-2006 at 08:51

Thanks for posting Samuel. I've only listened to it once so far, I'd say it was pretty close to being the worst album I've ever listened to. Still, that might change. I'll give it some more attention just as soon as I can bring myself to stop listening to the Roddy Woomble album - dang it's good.

i am sam - 25-7-2006 at 09:23

best song on the album is 'don't call me andy' by the way.

i think it suffers from beinga bit overlong. and there are a few terrible tracks ('slam john against a brick wall' being the most notable example i reckon, or 'golden eye dog' but on the whole it's actually a lot better than i expected. the lyrics aren't perhaps up to the standard of the previous two albums especially 'one brother' which is fairly embarrassing but listening to the better tracks individually is rewarding, and i remember thinking I Get Wet was a bit too much of the same thing when i first listened to it, so I have hope.

Mercury Rising - 25-7-2006 at 09:47

Quote:
Originally posted by i am sam

best song on the album is 'don't call me andy' by the way.

i think it suffers from beinga bit overlong. and there are a few terrible tracks ('slam john against a brick wall' being the most notable example i reckon, or 'golden eye dog'

I read the other week that 'slam john' was one of the first things he ever wrote. It really isn't very good.