Board logo

Tues, 28 Oct 2003 - Happylife + Rotary 10 - Level 2
Simon Dyson - 1-11-2003 at 20:57

Remember when Chris Martin was going on about how much he loved Sigur Ros? Now imagine how Coldplay would sound if Chris Martin had taken a few musical pointers from Sigur Ros. If you've got a good imagination then you've just perfectly pictured tonight's support band, Rotary 10. Ok, so their name's a bit rubbish, but hell, bands have been around a long time so how many good names can be left? Rotary 10's music drifted from beautiful melodies to soaring guitar lines and back again, keeping the audience captivated from beginning until end. Apparently they're not signed yet but if there's any justice they will be soon.

Then we move on to headliners for tonight, Happy Life. Fair enough, my taste could be described as "indie" so it's understandable that I wouldn't like a band such as Happy Life, but even putting on my objective hat doesn't allow me to be very complimentary about this band. At times their music was promising but was let down by such lyrics as "The silence is burning", "slip into my world and die" and "the way you hate me" (apparently something to do with "the RnB bands next door"). Surely only Fred Durst could do worse? Musically some of their songs could be loosely compared to such bands as Muse and Feeder but more often than not a comparison to Puddle of Mudd wouldn't be far wrong. Any credibility they did have was lost when they covered The Beatles' Come Together in a 'rawk' style (cue devil horn signs)... I'm sure Lennon turned in his grave!

To the right is a playlist of what myself and Gareth played whilst the bands were not playing.
Playlist
The Doves
The (International) Noise Conspiracy
Muse
Kula Shaker
Ikara Colt
David Bowie
The Smiths
The Jeevas
Hope of the States
Kinesis
Red Hot Chilli Peppers