» Forum
» Today's Posts
» Stats

Threads: 7432
Members: 975

Hot Topic:
»
Newest Post:
» Cable TV meets the internet (Carl, 10-12-2016 - 13:35)
Member of The Day:
» (No posts)
Newest Member:
» onzappe (4-7-2008)

» Who's Online []
Guests: 7344 Guests
Members: 1 Member

Mercury Rising

Key []
Super Administrator
Administrators
Super Moderators
Moderators
All Registered Members

[ Members Visited Today ]

IndieSoc
Advanced Search

Printable Version | Send to Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
Author: Subject: We don't care where they live, leave our forum alone!!!
Caz

Mood: Hmmmm...
posted on 11-12-2003 at 13:36 Reply With Quote
Hmmm, deja-vu
Currently listening to:
View Caz's Profile E-Mail Caz Visit Caz's Homepage View All Posts By Caz U2U Caz
tmason37

Mood: No Mood.
posted on 1-1-2004 at 14:46 Reply With Quote
simpsons

they either live in

California
Colorado
Georgia
Idaho
Iowa
Kansas
Michigan
Minnesota
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
Oklahoma
Oregon
Wyoming

Currently listening to:
View tmason37's Profile View All Posts By tmason37 U2U tmason37
pete_lastcaress

Mood: Seesawing
posted on 1-1-2004 at 15:18 Reply With Quote
Pour Quoi?
Currently listening to:
View pete_lastcaress's Profile E-Mail pete_lastcaress Visit pete_lastcaress's Homepage View All Posts By pete_lastcaress U2U pete_lastcaress pete_lastcaress's Gallery
I love Quiche!

Mood: Discombobulated
posted on 1-1-2004 at 15:27 Reply With Quote
maybe the simpsons live in all those places, its possible that springfield is a giant moving town, it would only be fair to all the springfields in the world if each had their fair share of simpson time on tv, but the viewers can never tell the difference. That would be kinda freaky tho!
Currently listening to:
View I love Quiche!'s Profile View All Posts By I love Quiche! U2U I love Quiche!   I+love+Quiche%21 's Aim MSN Profile
tmason37

posted on 1-1-2004 at 15:41 Reply With Quote
update

Colorado
Georgia
Idaho
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Wyoming

Currently listening to:
tmason37

posted on 1-1-2004 at 15:43 Reply With Quote
can you help?

i only have 8 left,so please help me eliminate them
Currently listening to:
Colin DIS
I should get a life

Mood: Bennet-astic
posted on 1-1-2004 at 23:40 Reply With Quote
The writers said they wanted it to be something americans could associate with (familiarisation and all that jazz) so they choose Springfield as there is one in almost every state in the U.S.

Can this thread end now?

Do you know my spanish cousin? He's Signor Willy!

There's always someone as horny as you are ugly. - Maddox

generated by sloganizer.net

Currently listening to:
View Colin DIS's Profile E-Mail Colin DIS Visit Colin DIS's Homepage View All Posts By Colin DIS U2U Colin DIS Colin DIS's Gallery MSN Profile
RadioEd

Mood: LIVIN'
posted on 2-1-2004 at 00:09 Reply With Quote
yeh, an 'everyman' state if you will

http://www.alphalets.com/

Currently listening to:
View RadioEd's Profile E-Mail RadioEd Visit RadioEd's Homepage View All Posts By RadioEd U2U RadioEd RadioEd's Gallery MSN Profile
Asm92784
Super Moderator

Mood:
posted on 2-1-2004 at 23:08 Reply With Quote
In the "behind the Laughter" episode towards the end of it the announcer says "The future looks brighter for this Norhtern Kentucky family". And there is infact a Springfield, KY and a Shelbyville.
Currently listening to:
View 's Profile View All Posts By U2U
dtsazza

Mood: Offline
posted on 4-1-2004 at 11:35 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by I love Quiche!
maybe the simpsons live in all those places, its possible that springfield is a giant moving town

Not only possible, but actual. Springfield's standard last-resort is to uproot the town and move it a few miles down the road (as happened in Trash of the Titans where Homer turned the entire town into a landfill). There's no reason why, if they've got this capability, they couldn't keep moving the town around in between episodes and not tell us!

[Edited on 4-1-2004 by dtsazza]

Currently listening to:
View dtsazza's Profile E-Mail dtsazza Visit dtsazza's Homepage View All Posts By dtsazza U2U dtsazza MSN Profile
UnleadedPenguin

Mood: Shifty
posted on 4-1-2004 at 13:59 Reply With Quote
Perhaps the thing to do is not just look for a Springfield, but look for a Springfield with a Shelbyville right next to it...

But it's still just a cartoon. I mean people don't scour Westchester NY looking for the X-Mansion, do they?

"Fuck the Strokes, bomb Ibiza" - Keith Flint
Sorry I'm not home right now I'm walking in the spiderwebs so leave a message and I'll call you back... Oh likely story, but leave a message and I'll call you back...

Currently listening to:
View UnleadedPenguin's Profile E-Mail UnleadedPenguin Visit UnleadedPenguin's Homepage View All Posts By UnleadedPenguin U2U UnleadedPenguin MSN Profile
pete_lastcaress

posted on 4-1-2004 at 23:41 Reply With Quote
I don't know man, I can think of a couple of guys who went to Illinois to find the town John Hughes films are set in but it didn't exist.

Yes, I have trouble seperating fact from fiction. However, this thread seems to have attracted a lot of new blood to the forum so now I truly feel like I've created something good. Rather than something evil for once.

Currently listening to:
View pete_lastcaress's Profile E-Mail pete_lastcaress Visit pete_lastcaress's Homepage View All Posts By pete_lastcaress U2U pete_lastcaress pete_lastcaress's Gallery
dangermouse
The greatest secret agent in the world!

Mood: trucktastic
posted on 5-1-2004 at 15:52 Reply With Quote
I know this thread more or less dead but someone might read this.

Springfield in the uk is the site of one of our few Nuclear Weapons Plants (NWPs), it was exposed in 1999 by Mark Thomas while he was making the Comedy Product, as having one of the worst safety records in Europe. If it were not government run it would have undoubtedly been shutdown by the same government.

It is illegal to photograph from within 50m. Mark THomas photographed and filmed it using a cherry picker 51m away.

It was funny

Owen

Makenoiseanddance.com

Currently listening to: Red
View dangermouse's Profile E-Mail dangermouse Visit dangermouse's Homepage View All Posts By dangermouse U2U dangermouse dangermouse's Gallery   dangermouse 's Aim dangermouse 's ICQ status MSN Profile   dangermouse 's Yahoo
jester

posted on 12-2-2004 at 18:31 Reply With Quote
ok i know this might be a little late to reply but i got a few clues i found.
1- in the ep when they go rafting (boyscout, ernest borgnine) they get lost out in the sea. Then homer remembers that Krusty has a Kusty burger store on a oil rig. They show the map and its definately on the east coast, near Virginia,north carolina and new york city.

2- superattendant charmers is from up state new york albany i think. (steam clams episode)

3- capitol city could be new york city

4- i just checked and theres a springfield in massachusetts just south east of albany

Currently listening to:
View jester's Profile View All Posts By jester U2U jester
pete_lastcaress

posted on 13-2-2004 at 01:09 Reply With Quote
I hate the way this is going to look like I resurrected the thread but I have to point out that Capitol City can't be New York City because it's Capitol City. Y'know...
Currently listening to:
dangermouse

posted on 13-2-2004 at 08:33 Reply With Quote
mmmm...u might be on to something pete.

Just possibly.

Owen

Makenoiseanddance.com

Currently listening to:
View dangermouse's Profile E-Mail dangermouse Visit dangermouse's Homepage View All Posts By dangermouse U2U dangermouse dangermouse's Gallery   dangermouse 's Aim dangermouse 's ICQ status MSN Profile   dangermouse 's Yahoo
Bones8653

Mood: Freaked
posted on 14-3-2004 at 07:25 Reply With Quote
I KNOW

If you watch the episode "Behind the Laughter" the guy says the simpsons were backward hicks or something from the ozarks which if i'm not mistaken in Missouri. Steve Tyler of Aerosmith said "hello St Louis" while performing at Moes,Grampa says "I'll be deep deep deep in the cold cold ground before I recognise Missouri" when talking about the stars on the flag, and when Moe converts the tavern into a family restaurant he gets a deep fryer delivered that has USS Missouri written on it.Sigfreid and Roy (who often perform in Branson MO.), are shown at the Springfield Airport complaining that their tiger is lost, the guy informs them it is in St. Louis.In another episode, an old (hard of hearing) ticket vendor responds: "Saint Louis?"
When a ticket to Springfield is requested. So many references to Saint Louis.Lisa Simpson Perched a top Springfield's tallest tree, a tree she was trying to save from being cut down, can see the St. Louis Arch as the closet monument.In an episode where smart Dolphins take over Springfield, Moe makes a reference to running them out of town as they did with that "Laura Ingles Wylder" Girl.
Note that most people overlook, is that her home is about 25 minutes from Springfield Mo.When Marge Suffers a nervous breakdown, and suggest she needs a vacation. Homer recalls a recent 'vacation' at "Mystic Caverns". This is about one hour south of Springfield Mo. The joke is more funny when you realize it is nearby and Homer calls it a 'vacation' trip. Also "Behind the Laughter", they state the Simpson's as a "Southern Missouri family" Daniel Boone is buried in Marthasville Missouri. (Jedidiah Springfield, resembles Boone)
n another episode, the town of Springfield had been divided into two area codes: 939 & 636... Area code 939 is in Puerto Rico, Missouri and the Area code 636 Mid Missouri Cities like Washington and Farmington.. Note that 636 was a new number assigned after a area code split. And there was some whinning about it according to the news. AND FINALLY Matt Groening was born in Missouri.

Currently listening to:
View Bones8653's Profile E-Mail Bones8653 View All Posts By Bones8653 U2U Bones8653
dangermouse

posted on 14-3-2004 at 12:38 Reply With Quote
well done dude, but why do you know this?

Owen

Makenoiseanddance.com

Currently listening to:
mojo
I should get a life

posted on 14-3-2004 at 18:26 Reply With Quote
well played that man

I want to see something beautiful everyday

Currently listening to:
View mojo's Profile E-Mail mojo View All Posts By mojo U2U mojo mojo's Gallery
Pete Simpson

Mood: hectic
posted on 15-3-2004 at 00:20 Reply With Quote
I got interested enough to do some research...

According to multimap.com there are 15 Springfields in the Land Of Yanks, including the one in Missouri. There is also a Shelbyville in Missouri, although it's not that close. The clincher would be an Evergreen Terrace, but unfortunately there isn't one in this state (although there is an Evergreen Drive, but that's miles away, north of Kansas City). There is no Ogdenville or North Haverbrook (also mentioned in Monorail episode) in the whole of the country! The Capital City of Springfield's state is Capital City, the Capital City of Missouri is Jefferson City (both end with City).

Quote:
Originally posted by Bones8653

If you watch the episode "Behind the Laughter" the guy says the simpsons were backward hicks or something from the ozarks which if i'm not mistaken in Missouri. Steve Tyler of Aerosmith said "hello St Louis" while performing at Moes,Grampa says "I'll be deep deep deep in the cold cold ground before I recognise Missouri" when talking about the stars on the flag.

To clarify:

Springfield, MO is in the heart of the Ozark Plateau and St. Louis is in Missouri.

The Grampa thing is an argument against Missouri, as is the fact that in one episode Super-Intendent Chalmers said:
"It's not surprising this school was once classified the most dilapidated in all of Missouri... that's why it was shut down and moved here, brick by brick." (suggesting it's not longer in Missouri)
And in episode 7F15, Marge refers to the International Bowling Museum as being in Saint Louis, Missouri; implying they are in a different state.
Also, there is a Hogdenville in Kentucky, and Springfield and Shelbyville are much much closer in this state.

Quote:
Originally posted by Asm92784

In the "behind the Laughter" episode towards the end of it the announcer says "The future looks brighter for this Norhtern Kentucky family". And there is infact a Springfield, KY and a Shelbyville.

But this was changed! See quote from the internet:

[Actually, we didn't even have to wait that long. For the repeat airing on July 12, the voice-over changed to, "Southern Missouri family" -- Ed.]

Rebekah Garringer:
When they first played Behind the Laughter I laughed so hard at the Kentucky line. I thought that the writers threw it in to keep everyone at ATS buzzing all summer long. Now that they have changed the line to Missouri, I can just see them laughing at all of us and thinking we need to get a life.

Arup Baral:
Ahh, somehow they switched it up on us. I knew it wasn't Northern Kentucky. I think it'll change every rerun.

Chris Palm:
Something tells me when it goes into syndication there'll be different lines for each individual state. For instance, when it airs in Boston, it may very well be eastern Massachusetts.

Bill McNeal:
Yes, it will change EVERY time it's aired. Which means that the episode can only be aired 48 more times for the rest of eternity, right?

Don Del Grande: It'll probably be like "Lisa the Greek" -- when it makes it to syndication, it will go back to "northern Kentucky". And when the Season 10 DVDs come out (probably sometime between 2005 and 2010), they'll probably have two audio tracks where the only difference is that one says Kentucky and the other Missouri

J. C. White: Canadian Global network affiliates and NTV Newfoundland aired the original "Northern Kentucky" ending of the Behind the laughter episode last night. So far, I've seen the "Southern Missouri" ending only on Fox.

website- http://www.snpp.com/episodes/BABF19

So, in conclusion it looks like either Kentucky or Missouri, but neither come anywhere close to having all of the all of the following:

a) a mountain range containing autumn leaves and a cider mill
b) a harbour
c) an ocean (the episode where Maggie saves Homer from drowning; the episode where Homer and Lisa use the sensory deprivation tanks)
d) the remote alkali flats of the Springfield Badlands
3) huge mountains (the teamwork episode, the Powersauce episode)
f) Springfield Gorge
g) a desert-like area called Dead Weasel Road
h) backwoods hicks

Although there is a Springfield Gorge in ohio!
http://www.rocklist.com/servlet/AreasUI?areaId=101000

In terms of vast expances of water etc. Missouri borders the Mississippi, and it is wide enough at this point to have port/harbour facilities, and the rafting episode could have taken them down the river and into the sea that way.

For more detailed an investigation, see:
http://home.aol.com/paulpage/

Currently listening to:
View Pete Simpson's Profile E-Mail Pete Simpson Visit Pete Simpson's Homepage View All Posts By Pete Simpson U2U Pete Simpson MSN Profile
Pete Simpson

Mood: hectic
posted on 15-3-2004 at 00:48 Reply With Quote
Do you think I went a bit over the top?
Currently listening to:
View Pete Simpson's Profile E-Mail Pete Simpson Visit Pete Simpson's Homepage View All Posts By Pete Simpson U2U Pete Simpson MSN Profile
slow riot
I should get a life

posted on 15-3-2004 at 00:54 Reply With Quote

myspace

Currently listening to:
View slow riot's Profile Visit slow riot's Homepage View All Posts By slow riot U2U slow riot
jtack

Mood: GggRRRRrrrr
posted on 15-3-2004 at 01:04 Reply With Quote
i think the beauty of creating a cartoon universe is that you don't need to worry about such things as geography or even normal laws of physics. the fact that certain things conflict or have no correlation is just part of artistic interpretation and i'd far rather they spent time on scripts than on placing everything whithin set geographical confines. the whole point of not having a specific state/location and having a town name that appears nearly is that the characters are adverage people that could be found in practicaly every state
Currently listening to:
View jtack's Profile Visit jtack's Homepage View All Posts By jtack U2U jtack jtack's Gallery MSN Profile
slow riot
I should get a life

posted on 15-3-2004 at 01:06 Reply With Quote
IT'S A FUCKING CARTOON

myspace

Currently listening to:
View slow riot's Profile Visit slow riot's Homepage View All Posts By slow riot U2U slow riot
jazzy

Mood: discombobulated
posted on 15-3-2004 at 01:07 Reply With Quote

"In descending order of vehemence, my objections to the Tory species stem from a) everything they do, b) everything they say, c) everything they stand for, d) how they look, e) their stupid names and f) the noises I imagine they make in bed."

Currently listening to:
View jazzy's Profile Visit jazzy's Homepage View All Posts By jazzy U2U jazzy jazzy's Gallery MSN Profile
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

Not logged in
Last active: Never

Website developed by Simon Dyson 2003
Forum powered by XMB 1.8 Partagium Final Beta (Build: 14120211PM)
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group 2002
Processed in 0.3019261 seconds, 61 queries
Bad Behavior has blocked 218 access attempts in the last 7 days.