» Forum
» Today's Posts
» Stats

Threads: 7432
Members: 975

Hot Topic:
»
Newest Post:
» Cable TV meets the internet (Carl, 10-12-2016 - 13:35)
Member of The Day:
» (No posts)
Newest Member:
» onzappe (4-7-2008)

» Who's Online []
Guests: 4153 Guests
Members: 1 Member

Bozzaholic

Key []
Super Administrator
Administrators
Super Moderators
Moderators
All Registered Members

[ Members Visited Today ]

IndieSoc
Advanced Search

Printable Version | Send to Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
Author: Subject: Indie Soc Virgin
I_Might_Be_Giant

Mood: y Blues
posted on 12-5-2004 at 23:09 Reply With Quote
Indie Soc Virgin

Hi peoples, it's my first time and im a little nervous, i have a question, why 6 months ago was nobody covering rock and stuff in clubs and now we have two nights to go to? Which do you think is the best?
Currently listening to:
View I_Might_Be_Giant's Profile View All Posts By I_Might_Be_Giant U2U I_Might_Be_Giant
dangermouse
The greatest secret agent in the world!

Mood: trucktastic
posted on 13-5-2004 at 01:04 Reply With Quote
You mean hippo or route?

Well our guys are in on both.

Route: Free entry with NUS card, or get on the guest list (U2U member name:milkshake), good night, nice mixture of mainstream and more unknown stuff.

Hippo: Free entry with NUS or flyer. Nice chilled atmosphere and smaller cosy room, good for a relaxed night.

Chill at hippo or rock at Route....

Owen

Makenoiseanddance.com

Currently listening to:
View dangermouse's Profile E-Mail dangermouse Visit dangermouse's Homepage View All Posts By dangermouse U2U dangermouse dangermouse's Gallery   dangermouse 's Aim dangermouse 's ICQ status MSN Profile   dangermouse 's Yahoo
jazzy

Mood: discombobulated
posted on 13-5-2004 at 02:17 Reply With Quote
owen has about summed it up i reckon.

the hippo is cool because it's quite small and the athmosphere is like that of a front room at a mate's house (albeit a mate with expensive decor tastes). the music is always good but the lack of a dancefloor means it is a little harder to 'rock out' as it were. plenty of seating etc and if you fancy a nice night out and hang with your mates then you could do a lot worse than asylum at the hippo.

milkshake at route is a bit different because it is set in a proper club room so you have a dancefloor and a much bigger space for seating and stuff. the athmosphere is a bit different, it's a bit more 'club' than asylum which is much better if you fancy going out, getting drunk and having a good dance. the music is 70% indie/rock and 30% electro so there is always something to dance along to!

the music is always spot on at both places so i guess it depends whether you are going out to dance and hang with your mates or chill and hang with your mates

"In descending order of vehemence, my objections to the Tory species stem from a) everything they do, b) everything they say, c) everything they stand for, d) how they look, e) their stupid names and f) the noises I imagine they make in bed."

Currently listening to:
View jazzy's Profile Visit jazzy's Homepage View All Posts By jazzy U2U jazzy jazzy's Gallery MSN Profile
jazzy

Mood: discombobulated
posted on 13-5-2004 at 02:17 Reply With Quote
oh and hello by the way

"In descending order of vehemence, my objections to the Tory species stem from a) everything they do, b) everything they say, c) everything they stand for, d) how they look, e) their stupid names and f) the noises I imagine they make in bed."

Currently listening to:
View jazzy's Profile Visit jazzy's Homepage View All Posts By jazzy U2U jazzy jazzy's Gallery MSN Profile
dangermouse
The greatest secret agent in the world!

Mood: trucktastic
posted on 13-5-2004 at 03:28 Reply With Quote
Yeah, sorry, Hello and welcome...

If youd like to say a bit about yourself thatd be nice...

wen

Makenoiseanddance.com

Currently listening to:
View dangermouse's Profile E-Mail dangermouse Visit dangermouse's Homepage View All Posts By dangermouse U2U dangermouse dangermouse's Gallery   dangermouse 's Aim dangermouse 's ICQ status MSN Profile   dangermouse 's Yahoo
Cleverest_of_monkeys
likes monkeys

Mood: ok to good
posted on 13-5-2004 at 08:35 Reply With Quote
Ello!

Bow-chicka-wow-wow

Currently listening to:
View Cleverest_of_monkeys's Profile Visit Cleverest_of_monkeys's Homepage View All Posts By Cleverest_of_monkeys U2U Cleverest_of_monkeys   Cleverest_of_monkeys 's Aim MSN Profile   Cleverest_of_monkeys 's Yahoo
Funky Fairy
I should get a life

Mood: No Mood.
posted on 13-5-2004 at 08:36 Reply With Quote
hello

Currently listening to:
View Funky Fairy's Profile View All Posts By Funky Fairy U2U Funky Fairy Funky Fairy's Gallery
Lil_Gem

Mood: over-worked
posted on 13-5-2004 at 08:42 Reply With Quote
Hey, I dj at asylum but i think jazzy hit the nail on the head with his descriptions of them both! I like 'em both! Different clubs for different types of nights!

hmmmm......

Currently listening to:
View Lil_Gem's Profile E-Mail Lil_Gem View All Posts By Lil_Gem U2U Lil_Gem Lil_Gem's Gallery   Lil_Gem 's Aim MSN Profile
Me & My

posted on 13-5-2004 at 10:44 Reply With Quote
hello!

the previous descriptions are pretty spot-on really. The Asylum is only in it's 4th week so is still establishing, whereas milkshake has been going since february...

i've been to both nights myself and both are better than the other in their own way.

Milkshake: has a dance floor has the space has bands now and again occasionally has the odd dreadful night [last week] plays electro toss has a bit more of a 'dancefloor' orientated music output

Asylum: VERY chilled out a bit more of a friendlier atmosphere BRILLIANT set lists (for the 2 times i've been!) doesn't really play electro no dancefloor as such will be having loads of guest DJ's has it's very own padded cell! can't really get bands in The guys that run it are also linked to: Zest, Pink Toothbrush, Rage, Hollywoods...so expect to see a few DJ swapsies and promo's

*indiesoc forum ego stroking coming up* Milkshake has better nights than normal when Jazzy, Matt.P, and Sam are DJing though...and Asylum totally rocks more when Jon let's fly behind the mixer, which is why we'll travel down the A12 to Romford or Wickford sometimes to see him

...so take your pick. We're lucky to have two cool nights here in town considering there was very few last year unless you travelled.

Currently listening to:
View Me & My's Profile View All Posts By Me & My U2U Me & My
dexterpanik
Back from the Dead

Mood: emotional
posted on 13-5-2004 at 10:57 Reply With Quote
it's just a shame they're on the same night because i'd like to go to both.

RIP 78 Brook Street
20 March 2004 - 19 March 2006

Great times were had.

Some of the deposit was retained.

Currently listening to:
View dexterpanik's Profile View All Posts By dexterpanik U2U dexterpanik
dunnerz

Mood: 9-to-5
posted on 13-5-2004 at 10:59 Reply With Quote
that has to be a competition for most smilies in a single post

Friend of a friend of a friend asked me to put this link here:
http://www.backtrackin.net

Currently listening to:
View dunnerz's Profile E-Mail dunnerz Visit dunnerz's Homepage View All Posts By dunnerz U2U dunnerz dunnerz's Gallery dunnerz 's ICQ status MSN Profile
if_only_ralph_were_real
I should get a life

Mood:
posted on 13-5-2004 at 11:00 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by dexterpanik

Yep me too......but then again as much as I'd like to go to two wicked nights a week, thursdays always end up being quite expensive so I probably wouldn't be able to afford both if they were on different nights......

There is always a route/hippo dilemma though- all depends what mood you are in when you arrive in town really.

Get a haircut, tuck your shirt in, be an artist

Currently listening to:
View if_only_ralph_were_real's Profile E-Mail if_only_ralph_were_real View All Posts By if_only_ralph_were_real U2U if_only_ralph_were_real
Lil_Gem

posted on 13-5-2004 at 11:00 Reply With Quote
Quote:

yeah i know what you mean! Thursday was the only night we could get for the hippodrome though so I guess it can't be helped... Milkshake would be cool on a Saturday night though!

hmmmm......

Currently listening to:
View Lil_Gem's Profile E-Mail Lil_Gem View All Posts By Lil_Gem U2U Lil_Gem Lil_Gem's Gallery   Lil_Gem 's Aim MSN Profile
dexterpanik
Back from the Dead

Mood: emotional
posted on 13-5-2004 at 11:03 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Lil_Gem

Quote:

yeah i know what you mean! Thursday was the only night we could get for the hippodrome though so I guess it can't be helped... Milkshake would be cool on a Saturday night though!

very good point - colchester is massively lacking in a good saturday night. but it won't happen at route because they fill the place up on saturdays with people who don't mind paying £10 to get in...

RIP 78 Brook Street
20 March 2004 - 19 March 2006

Great times were had.

Some of the deposit was retained.

Currently listening to:
View dexterpanik's Profile View All Posts By dexterpanik U2U dexterpanik
Lil_Gem

posted on 13-5-2004 at 11:06 Reply With Quote
Quote:

they fill the place up on saturdays with people who don't mind paying £10 to get in...

£10?!

Yeah, colchester does need a good milkshake type saturday night!

hmmmm......

Currently listening to:
Maverick
I should get a life

Mood: coke tainted
posted on 13-5-2004 at 11:06 Reply With Quote
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

very good point - colchester is massively lacking in a good saturday night. but it won't happen at route because they fill the place up on saturdays with people who don't mind paying £10 to get in...

it's not £10 anymore... and last Saturday the upstairs was pretty spartan... I reckon they could do it if they put on a'commercially alternative' night to attract all us dissidents. The sad fact is they never will... at the moment Twisters is the only place with decent music on a Sat... unless of course they get this band night thing sorted out at Roberts...

my teen lover just discovered she's a genius

Currently listening to:
View Maverick's Profile Visit Maverick's Homepage View All Posts By Maverick U2U Maverick
Maverick
I should get a life

Mood: coke tainted
posted on 13-5-2004 at 11:07 Reply With Quote
Quote:

£10?!

yeah... and £3.40 a bottle. Probably because half the kids are on drugs...

my teen lover just discovered she's a genius

Currently listening to:
View Maverick's Profile Visit Maverick's Homepage View All Posts By Maverick U2U Maverick
Lil_Gem

posted on 13-5-2004 at 11:08 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Maverick

Quote:

£10?!

yeah... and £3.40 a bottle. Probably because half the kids are on drugs...

hmmmm......

Currently listening to:
Jon
Posting Freak

Mood: immenstrides...
posted on 13-5-2004 at 11:30 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Me & My

*indiesoc forum ego stroking coming up* Milkshake has better nights than normal when Jazzy, Matt.P, and Sam are DJing though...and Asylum totally rocks more when Jon let's fly behind the mixer, which is why we'll travel down the A12 to Romford or Wickford sometimes to see him

awww...shucks...

thanks for the asylum vs milkshake breakdown though. can't really disagree there.

[Edited on 13-5-2004 by Jon]

We ARE the fire!

Currently listening to:
View Jon's Profile Visit Jon's Homepage View All Posts By Jon U2U Jon Jon's Gallery   Jon 's Aim MSN Profile
littleben

Mood: Happy
posted on 13-5-2004 at 11:58 Reply With Quote
On the topic of things... Will Asylum continue into the summer holidays or will it fall apart? I might take up working on Thursday nights shneee.

I, Climb.

Currently listening to:
View littleben's Profile E-Mail littleben Visit littleben's Homepage View All Posts By littleben U2U littleben littleben's Gallery MSN Profile
Lil_Gem

posted on 13-5-2004 at 12:08 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by littleben

On the topic of things... Will Asylum continue into the summer holidays or will it fall apart? I might take up working on Thursday nights shneee.

It will be carrying on Ben so take up working! Upstairs bar though!

hmmmm......

Currently listening to:
mojo
I should get a life

posted on 13-5-2004 at 12:17 Reply With Quote
i am most annoyed that it is on the same night....change it people!

oh and 'hi' to new person *waves*

I want to see something beautiful everyday

Currently listening to:
View mojo's Profile E-Mail mojo View All Posts By mojo U2U mojo mojo's Gallery
Simon Dyson
Webmaster
Administrator

posted on 13-5-2004 at 12:22 Reply With Quote
Quote:

Yep, weekly for the forseeable future. If you work in the upstairs bar then we can even play requests for you!

Currently listening to:
View Simon Dyson's Profile E-Mail Simon Dyson Visit Simon Dyson's Homepage View All Posts By Simon Dyson U2U Simon Dyson Simon Dyson's Gallery Simon+Dyson 's ICQ status
Lil_Gem

posted on 13-5-2004 at 12:39 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Dyson

Quote:

Yep, weekly for the forseeable future. If you work in the upstairs bar then we can even play requests for you!

Keep up Simon, I already told him!

hmmmm......

Currently listening to:
Simon Dyson
Webmaster
Administrator

posted on 13-5-2004 at 12:41 Reply With Quote
But clearly my post was superior to yours in both detail and style so was completely justified

Currently listening to:
View Simon Dyson's Profile E-Mail Simon Dyson Visit Simon Dyson's Homepage View All Posts By Simon Dyson U2U Simon Dyson Simon Dyson's Gallery Simon+Dyson 's ICQ status
<<  1    2  >>

Not logged in
Last active: Never

Website developed by Simon Dyson 2003
Forum powered by XMB 1.8 Partagium Final Beta (Build: 14120211PM)
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group 2002
Processed in 0.3005810 seconds, 61 queries
Bad Behavior has blocked 316 access attempts in the last 7 days.