» Forum
» Today's Posts
» Stats

Threads: 7432
Members: 975

Hot Topic:
»
Newest Post:
» Cable TV meets the internet (Carl, 10-12-2016 - 13:35)
Member of The Day:
» (No posts)
Newest Member:
» onzappe (4-7-2008)

» Who's Online []
Guests: 777 Guests
Members: 1 Member

jazzy

Key []
Super Administrator
Administrators
Super Moderators
Moderators
All Registered Members

[ Members Visited Today ]

IndieSoc
Advanced Search

Printable Version | Send to Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
Author: Subject: IndieSoc Last FM Weekly Charts
Dr. Rob

Mood: midnitetosix
posted on 9-8-2006 at 16:12 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by i am sam

i think last fm is slowing showing me that the music i listen to isn't quite as diverse as i thought.

I think it's the other way round -- because it's that diverse it can't find anyone whose list exactly matches yours. I mean I mainly listen to garage bands, and there's a certain circle of people that know all the good garage bands, so bands I like that I haven't listened to pop up on their lists. But then if I look up fans of, say, The Jesus Lizard or some of the other alternative stuff I listen to (christ, there isn't much of it on there, come to think of it), their lists are made up of all kinds of stuff. Unless everything you listen to fits into an easily definable category, it doesn't seem to really work.

Last.fm: exposed for the pointless timewasting exercise it really is! Wait, that's why we like it.

get drunk and have some fun

last.fm weekly top artists:

Currently listening to:
View Dr. Rob's Profile View All Posts By Dr. Rob U2U Dr. Rob MSN Profile
i am sam
I should get a life

Mood: sam i am
posted on 9-8-2006 at 16:20 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Rob

Quote:

i think last fm is slowing showing me that the music i listen to isn't quite as diverse as i thought.

I think it's the other way round -- because it's that diverse it can't find anyone whose list exactly matches yours. I mean I mainly listen to garage bands, and there's a certain circle of people that know all the good garage bands, so bands I like that I haven't listened to pop up on their lists. But then if I look up fans of, say, The Jesus Lizard or some of the other alternative stuff I listen to (christ, there isn't much of it on there, come to think of it), their lists are made up of all kinds of stuff. Unless everything you listen to fits into an easily definable category, it doesn't seem to really work.

Last.fm: exposed for the pointless timewasting exercise it really is! Wait, that's why we like it.

the way my chart is working out i'm noticing that generally it's not my favourite music doing well so much as music i find easy to listen to. in many ways it mirrors the real top 40, the best music isn't necessarilly the highest up. i suspect that in time perhaps it will even out a bit more though and give what i consider to be a more accurate list of my tastes.

Currently listening to:
View i am sam's Profile View All Posts By i am sam U2U i am sam i am sam's Gallery
Dr. Rob

posted on 14-8-2006 at 22:49 Reply With Quote
Reigning Sound and Compulsive Gamblers up there! Two steps closer to the Oblivians!

Currently listening to:
clarkogir

Mood: exam fucked
posted on 16-8-2006 at 11:28 Reply With Quote
im liking accuracy by the cure being number 1

Currently listening to:
View clarkogir's Profile E-Mail clarkogir Visit clarkogir's Homepage View All Posts By clarkogir U2U clarkogir
Dr. Rob

posted on 22-8-2006 at 14:06 Reply With Quote
Who else listened to Quit Your Dayjob?

Currently listening to:
blown away
I should get a life

Mood: self indulgent
posted on 22-8-2006 at 17:34 Reply With Quote
Quote:

Who else listened to Quit Your Dayjob?

I did !

Last night I heard someone say something that sounded like a perfect witty indiesoc forum signature, unfortunately I forgot all about it.

Currently listening to:
View blown away's Profile E-Mail blown away View All Posts By blown away U2U blown away blown away's Gallery MSN Profile   blown+away 's Yahoo
Dr. Rob

posted on 22-8-2006 at 19:18 Reply With Quote
I can't stop listening to them! They're just too fun!

Currently listening to:
Simon Dyson
Webmaster
Administrator

Mood: No Mood.
posted on 22-8-2006 at 20:10 Reply With Quote
I'm surprised that Johnny Cash is in the top 10 nearly every week.

Currently listening to:
View Simon Dyson's Profile E-Mail Simon Dyson Visit Simon Dyson's Homepage View All Posts By Simon Dyson U2U Simon Dyson Simon Dyson's Gallery Simon+Dyson 's ICQ status
i am sam
I should get a life

posted on 23-8-2006 at 15:51 Reply With Quote
i just bought a quit your dayjob album in the virgin sale for £1.99 based entirely on the comments in this thread. hope it's good.

Currently listening to:
View i am sam's Profile View All Posts By i am sam U2U i am sam i am sam's Gallery
blown away
I should get a life

posted on 23-8-2006 at 16:12 Reply With Quote
Quote:

I can't stop listening to them! They're just too fun!

they are indeed ... I first heard them on tuning to the similar artist radio on the devo artist page (the things you do out of boredom...).

Last night I heard someone say something that sounded like a perfect witty indiesoc forum signature, unfortunately I forgot all about it.

Currently listening to:
View blown away's Profile E-Mail blown away View All Posts By blown away U2U blown away blown away's Gallery MSN Profile   blown+away 's Yahoo
i am sam
I should get a life

posted on 27-8-2006 at 20:14 Reply With Quote
Quote:

Quote:

Also: you have Kieron Gillen (BremXJones) on your neighbours list. Well done, I think.

ah yes. i see what you mean about the 'i think' part. still, that's possibly quite cool.

one of my other neighbours is in jarvis cocker's top 8 on myspace. i'm quite happy about that.

Currently listening to:
i am sam
I should get a life

posted on 29-8-2006 at 08:33 Reply With Quote
my chart for this week is ALL WRONG. it's because i submit the tracks from my ipod and i didn't plug my ipod in before the cut-off time. i've developed some kind of last fm OCD and it's made me really annoyed. Ben Kweller should clearly be number one.

Currently listening to:
blown away
I should get a life

posted on 29-8-2006 at 11:25 Reply With Quote
Quote:

my chart for this week is ALL WRONG. it's because i submit the tracks from my ipod and i didn't plug my ipod in before the cut-off time. i've developed some kind of last fm OCD and it's made me really annoyed. Ben Kweller should clearly be number one.

mine doesn' scrobble well with windows media player.

I listen mostly to vinyls anyway.

Currently listening to:
Manic_Paul

posted on 29-8-2006 at 12:36 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by blown away

Quote:

mine doesn' scrobble well with windows media player.

I listen mostly to vinyls anyway.

my chart doesn't really reflect what i listen to as only the stuff on my pc gets logged on lastfm.

i play everything else i play on my cd player as it's rather swank and considerably better than my pc.

Currently listening to:
View Manic_Paul's Profile View All Posts By Manic_Paul U2U Manic_Paul
i am sam
I should get a life

posted on 29-8-2006 at 12:48 Reply With Quote
yeah, basically mine was working really well as i listen to most music through my ipod these days: either at work through some little speakers, at home through my stereo, or in my car through the tape adapter. it's only if i'm messing about mixing stuff together that the CDs come out. So in general the charts were really accurate, only this week it's not logged anything i listened to since monday or tuesday night which has thrown it right out. grr.

Currently listening to:
Simon Dyson
Webmaster
Administrator

posted on 29-8-2006 at 12:55 Reply With Quote
On the plus side the Wannadies are your number 1 artist!

Currently listening to:
View Simon Dyson's Profile E-Mail Simon Dyson Visit Simon Dyson's Homepage View All Posts By Simon Dyson U2U Simon Dyson Simon Dyson's Gallery Simon+Dyson 's ICQ status
dunnerz

Mood: 9-to-5
posted on 31-8-2006 at 13:50 Reply With Quote
i have to point out that the 53 listens to the racontours was due to leaving it in repeat by mistake (i was out of the room and the volume was off!)

although i do actually like the album

i wish it could be really clever and log what i listened to in my car - that would be cool!

Friend of a friend of a friend asked me to put this link here:
http://www.backtrackin.net

Currently listening to:
View dunnerz's Profile E-Mail dunnerz Visit dunnerz's Homepage View All Posts By dunnerz U2U dunnerz dunnerz's Gallery dunnerz 's ICQ status MSN Profile
Simon Dyson
Webmaster
Administrator

posted on 1-9-2006 at 13:27 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by dunnerz

i wish it could be really clever and log what i listened to in my car - that would be cool!

Would be good if there was a way to submit songs without listening to them through a player. e.g. I listen to an album in the car and then later that day select it on my PC and choose 'submit to last.fm'. But I imagine this would never happen because it makes abusing your own profile too easy.

Currently listening to:
blown away
I should get a life

posted on 3-9-2006 at 21:18 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Dyson

Quote:
Originally posted by dunnerz

Would be good if there was a way to submit songs without listening to them through a player. e.g. I listen to an album in the car and then later that day select it on my PC and choose 'submit to last.fm'. But I imagine this would never happen because it makes abusing your own profile too easy.

it would be cool to submit be able to add the songs you've heard at the supermarket, at the train station, the tunes you danced to in a club, what if there was also a little thing attached to our brains submitting to last fm all the songs we hummed throughout the day ?

Let's not be so geeky about last fm, it's not like people care THAT much about the songs we love. I'm already such a bore when I talk about music to my friends, now they can see anytime what stuff I've been willingly listening to on my windows media player so that they can see how fantastic my music tastes are. I'll try not to use last fm so much because after two weeks using it I now realise that it's not good for my musical ego trip.

On the other hand that's fantastic to discover new stuff, I must admit.

Currently listening to:
i am sam
I should get a life

posted on 5-9-2006 at 10:23 Reply With Quote
yeah. strychnine at number one.

Currently listening to:
Simon Dyson
Webmaster
Administrator

posted on 5-9-2006 at 13:32 Reply With Quote
Quote:

yeah. strychnine at number one.

Quite a few songs this week from the Pitchfork 200 songs of the 60s!

Currently listening to:
i am sam
I should get a life

posted on 25-9-2006 at 09:41 Reply With Quote
i just looked at the 'extensive musical taste' group. their top 10 made me smile.

http://www.last.fm/group/Extensive%2BMusical%2BTaste

Currently listening to:
Simon Dyson
Webmaster
Administrator

posted on 25-9-2006 at 13:23 Reply With Quote
i knew before I looked that Radiohead would be number 1!

Currently listening to:
Dr. Rob

posted on 26-9-2006 at 12:50 Reply With Quote
I love that there's a forum thread on there called 'WHAT SONG ARE YOU LISTENING TO?'

Currently listening to:
i am sam
I should get a life

posted on 16-10-2006 at 09:18 Reply With Quote
This weeks chart:

1 The White Stripes 7

2 Elliott Smith 6

2 The Velvet Underground 6

4 Pulp 5

4 Yeah Yeah Yeahs 5

6 The Cure 4

6 Beck 4

6 Otis Redding 4

6 Oasis 4

6 Teenage Fanclub 4

6 The Jam 4

6 Bright Eyes 4

6 The Charlatans 4

6 Belle and Sebastian 4

6 Hot Chip 4

6 R.E.M. 4

6 Bloc Party 4

6 The Long Blondes 4

6 The Pipettes 4

6 Howling Bells 4

I quite like the random appearance of Otis Redding in there.

Currently listening to:
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

Not logged in
Last active: Never

Website developed by Simon Dyson 2003
Forum powered by XMB 1.8 Partagium Final Beta (Build: 14120211PM)
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group 2002
Processed in 0.1934209 seconds, 60 queries
Bad Behavior has blocked 128 access attempts in the last 7 days.