» Forum
» Today's Posts
» Stats

Threads: 7432
Members: 975

Hot Topic:
»
Newest Post:
» Cable TV meets the internet (Carl, 10-12-2016 - 13:35)
Member of The Day:
» (No posts)
Newest Member:
» onzappe (4-7-2008)

» Who's Online []
Guests: 4820 Guests
Members: 1 Member

Mercury Rising

Key []
Super Administrator
Administrators
Super Moderators
Moderators
All Registered Members

[ Members Visited Today ]

IndieSoc
Advanced Search

Printable Version | Send to Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
Author: Subject: Why is incest still wrong?
Carl

Mood: No Mood.
posted on 16-5-2007 at 22:43 Reply With Quote
Why is incest still wrong?

There's not much of anything happening on the poor forum these days, so I thought I might try to revive it with a little debate.

A couple of weeks ago a friend told me that she attended her female friend's brother's 21st birthday, which was a family affair in a hall with a disco, just like 21st birthdays used to be like when our parents were having them. Anyway, my friend told me that at one point in the evening quite a racy r'n'b number was dropped, whereupon my mate had the pleasure of witnessing her female friend grinding with her own brother. Needless to say, she found the sight quite sickening, and when I pictured it in my mind, so did I. But then I thought, why should I be so repulsed by it?

We're told by sociologists and women that contraception has turned sex into very much a recreational thing, and not just a means to beget children. Now, everyone understands the danger of siblings actually trying to have children together, and we can all see why that is wrong. But if most sexual encounters these days are not about having kids, then, assuming all goes to plan, what is the problem with it being between siblings?

Whilst we are expected to have a thoroughly modern attitude to sex these days, I wonder whether our attitude to incest is still stuck in Victorian times. So the question is- why should we regard recreational sex between siblings as being wrong? Of course, the question applies even more so to gay incest, as recreational sex between siblings of the same gender (generally) does not even carry the risk of an 'accident' occurring.

Thoughts, anyone?

Currently listening to:
View Carl's Profile E-Mail Carl View All Posts By Carl U2U Carl
Simon Dyson
Webmaster
Administrator

posted on 16-5-2007 at 23:03 Reply With Quote
Surely the risk of pregnancy, no matter how small, is reason enough not to do it?

Currently listening to:
View Simon Dyson's Profile E-Mail Simon Dyson Visit Simon Dyson's Homepage View All Posts By Simon Dyson U2U Simon Dyson Simon Dyson's Gallery Simon+Dyson 's ICQ status
thundercat13

Mood: Manic
posted on 16-5-2007 at 23:55 Reply With Quote
If you had ever seen my sister you would understand why I don't want to have sex with her.

Currently listening to:
View thundercat13's Profile E-Mail thundercat13 View All Posts By thundercat13 U2U thundercat13 thundercat13's Gallery MSN Profile
Simon Dyson
Webmaster
Administrator

posted on 17-5-2007 at 10:09 Reply With Quote
Carl, do you have any siblings? Just curious.

Currently listening to:
View Simon Dyson's Profile E-Mail Simon Dyson Visit Simon Dyson's Homepage View All Posts By Simon Dyson U2U Simon Dyson Simon Dyson's Gallery Simon+Dyson 's ICQ status
Carl

posted on 17-5-2007 at 11:23 Reply With Quote
Yeah, very funny. Yes I do, and no I haven't been sexually attracted to either of them. But you do hear about it happening to other people occasionally, and I'm guessing they get a pretty tough time because of it.

Good to see Thundercat's only objection would be the fitness of the sister!

Also, good point about the risk, but if you factor in abortion, surely having a baby is completely avoidable? But you may not agree with abortion of course, don't know if I do.

Strangely, people often consider sleeping with a step-sibling, or even a sibling-in-law, to be a bit incestuous. Does Eleanor have any sisters, Simon? Just curious.

Currently listening to:
dunnerz

Mood: 9-to-5
posted on 17-5-2007 at 12:59 Reply With Quote
When you hear the stories of long lost (separate at birth) brothers-sisters getting married and not realised they are related until they look at their birth certificates / trace their family tree's, etc.

I can't work out if then it is suddenly wrong??

And Carl, yes, it would be wrong to have sex with a sibling, even it was just for sex - plane and simple wrong.

Saying that, if Elisha Cuthbert had a twin sister......

Currently listening to:
View dunnerz's Profile E-Mail dunnerz Visit dunnerz's Homepage View All Posts By dunnerz U2U dunnerz dunnerz's Gallery dunnerz 's ICQ status MSN Profile
dangermouse
The greatest secret agent in the world!

Mood: trucktastic
posted on 17-5-2007 at 13:13 Reply With Quote
*First post in a while*

This has sparked my interest.

Essentially, I spose we could say that people find incest wrong and strange because if they didn't they would do it, and their gene pools would be gradually weakened by inbreeding.

I.e. The strongest survive, so the strongest are of course those with the best suited genetic makeup. Inbreeding creates genetic weaknesses and deficiencies, as can be seen with pedigree dogs, who often have anomalies such as breathing difficulties or strange orthapaedic phenomena. If those who want to be incestuous make themselves weaker, then they have higher mortality rates than those who don't, and so their disposition to incest is gradually removed from the species by the basics of evolution.

This all assumes that the predisposition to want to shag your relatives is genetic, which it might not be, but it's one thoery I spose.

Currently listening to:
View dangermouse's Profile E-Mail dangermouse Visit dangermouse's Homepage View All Posts By dangermouse U2U dangermouse dangermouse's Gallery   dangermouse 's Aim dangermouse 's ICQ status MSN Profile   dangermouse 's Yahoo
dangermouse

posted on 17-5-2007 at 13:14 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Dyson

Surely the risk of pregnancy, no matter how small, is reason enough not to do it?

The risk of pregnancy through RnB dancing is a grave concern.

Makenoiseanddance.com

Currently listening to:
View dangermouse's Profile E-Mail dangermouse Visit dangermouse's Homepage View All Posts By dangermouse U2U dangermouse dangermouse's Gallery   dangermouse 's Aim dangermouse 's ICQ status MSN Profile   dangermouse 's Yahoo
Simon Dyson
Webmaster
Administrator

posted on 17-5-2007 at 13:28 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by dunnerz

When you hear the stories of long lost (separate at birth) brothers-sisters getting married and not realised they are related until they look at their birth certificates / trace their family tree's, etc.

Do you watch House? Similar situation occured in House a few weeks back. They were neighbours as children and were going to get married but it turned out the guys dad had been having an affair with the woman next door so they both had the same dad.
Quote:

And Carl, yes, it would be wrong to have sex with a sibling, even it was just for sex - plane and simple wrong.

I think Carl's point is "but why?". Are we just conforming to society?

Currently listening to:
dunnerz

Mood: 9-to-5
posted on 17-5-2007 at 13:36 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Dyson

Quote:
Originally posted by dunnerz

Do you watch House? Similar situation occured in House a few weeks back. They were neighbours as children and were going to get married but it turned out the guys dad had been having an affair with the woman next door so they both had the same dad.
Quote:

I think Carl's point is "but why?". Are we just conforming to society?

On the same basis, would you have sex with your own mum??

Currently listening to:
View dunnerz's Profile E-Mail dunnerz Visit dunnerz's Homepage View All Posts By dunnerz U2U dunnerz dunnerz's Gallery dunnerz 's ICQ status MSN Profile
Carl

posted on 17-5-2007 at 14:39 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by dangermouse

*First post in a while*

This has sparked my interest.

Essentially, I spose we could say that people find incest wrong and strange because if they didn't they would do it, and their gene pools would be gradually weakened by inbreeding.

Sure thing, that's why we have this revulsion to it, but whether it's an instinctive revulsion, or a product of cultural evolution is open to question. If it's instinctive, then there may be nothing we can do about it- a bit like how you can't persuade yourself that dogsh*t smells nice.

But if it's cultural, then is it out of date, for the reasons given above?

And Dunnerz, yes you're right, the question does apply equally to shagging one's Mum- I'd forgotten about that. I can see Jazzy having something to say about this.

Currently listening to:
thundercat13

Mood: Manic
posted on 17-5-2007 at 14:59 Reply With Quote
This is all beginning to sound very Oedipal... you'll be killing your dad next

Currently listening to:
View thundercat13's Profile E-Mail thundercat13 View All Posts By thundercat13 U2U thundercat13 thundercat13's Gallery MSN Profile
EternalLife
I should get a life

Mood:
posted on 17-5-2007 at 18:02 Reply With Quote
I thought it was something to do with naturally being repelled by the pheromones of our relations?

I recall a Robert Winston programme where they made girls wear a t-shirt to sleep in and then asked their brothers what they thought of the smell of various shirts without telling them which shirt was which, and the men all thought the smell of their sisters shirts were disgusting.

Either way, I think incest is always very wrong.

"I don't even know you're there...but if I did I'd ignore you."

Currently listening to:
View EternalLife's Profile Visit EternalLife's Homepage View All Posts By EternalLife U2U EternalLife
Carl

posted on 17-5-2007 at 20:23 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by EternalLife

...they made girls wear a t-shirt to sleep in and then asked their brothers what they thought of the smell.

Eurgh! What kind of programmes do you watch!

Currently listening to:
Simon Dyson
Webmaster
Administrator

posted on 17-5-2007 at 22:44 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl

And Dunnerz, yes you're right, the question does apply equally to shagging one's Mum- I'd forgotten about that. I can see Jazzy having something to say about this.

Would you really want to go where jazzy had already been?

Currently listening to:
Carl

posted on 18-5-2007 at 00:02 Reply With Quote
*snigger*

Currently listening to:
Mercury Rising
I should get a life

Mood:
posted on 18-5-2007 at 07:49 Reply With Quote
There's been reserach on unrelated children brought up together from an early age, I think focussing on a Kibbutz, which all suggests that it is that, being brought up together from a very young age, which is more important than a biological relationship in defining taboo relationships, as there are precious few future relationships between children brought up that way.

I agree with Owen too about the evolutionary forces against it. Maybe there are also cultural evolutionary forces at work here - incest metaphorically is about looking inwards and going backwards instead of branching out and moving on. Can you imagine anybody talking about a particular cultural subgenre becoming 'incestuous' as though that were a good thing? It might be good for recessive genes but incest is metaphorically all about the death of ideas and of progress and maybe even of the future, and that would put metaphorical barriers up against it as well.

I feel that life is divided into the horrible and the miserable. That's the two categories. The horrible are like, I don't know, terminal cases, you know, and blind people, crippled. I don't know how they get through life. It's amazing to me. And the miserable is everyone else. So you should be thankful that you're miserable, because that's very lucky, to be miserable.

Currently listening to:
View Mercury Rising's Profile View All Posts By Mercury Rising U2U Mercury Rising
dangermouse

posted on 18-5-2007 at 13:32 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Mercury Rising

There's been reserach on unrelated children brought up together from an early age, I think focussing on a Kibbutz, which all suggests that it is that, being brought up together from a very young age, which is more important than a biological relationship in defining taboo relationships, as there are precious few future relationships between children brought up that way.

I agree with Owen too about the evolutionary forces against it. Maybe there are also cultural evolutionary forces at work here - incest metaphorically is about looking inwards and going backwards instead of branching out and moving on. Can you imagine anybody talking about a particular cultural subgenre becoming 'incestuous' as though that were a good thing? It might be good for recessive genes but incest is metaphorically all about the death of ideas and of progress and maybe even of the future, and that would put metaphorical barriers up against it as well.

A genetic tendency spawning a cultural dislike would seem to make sense.

Currently listening to:
EternalLife
I should get a life

Mood:
posted on 18-5-2007 at 19:14 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl

Quote:
Originally posted by EternalLife

...they made girls wear a t-shirt to sleep in and then asked their brothers what they thought of the smell.

Eurgh! What kind of programmes do you watch!

As I said, a Robert Winston programme! I tried to find it online just now, I think it was called 'Human Instinct'.

"I don't even know you're there...but if I did I'd ignore you."

Currently listening to:
View EternalLife's Profile Visit EternalLife's Homepage View All Posts By EternalLife U2U EternalLife
BlackStar
I should get a life

Mood: grace is bored
posted on 20-5-2007 at 19:00 Reply With Quote
my housemate fancies his cousin. sicko. lol
Currently listening to:
View BlackStar's Profile E-Mail BlackStar View All Posts By BlackStar U2U BlackStar BlackStar's Gallery
jazzy

Mood: discombobulated
posted on 21-5-2007 at 09:31 Reply With Quote
my long awaited contribution....

incest is wrong.

"In descending order of vehemence, my objections to the Tory species stem from a) everything they do, b) everything they say, c) everything they stand for, d) how they look, e) their stupid names and f) the noises I imagine they make in bed."

Currently listening to:
View jazzy's Profile Visit jazzy's Homepage View All Posts By jazzy U2U jazzy jazzy's Gallery MSN Profile
robin

Mood: recovering
posted on 21-5-2007 at 20:21 Reply With Quote
people used to say the same about masturbation...

so logically there can only be one conclusion:
- your mum is a wanking mitt

Currently listening to:
View robin's Profile View All Posts By robin U2U robin robin's Gallery
Spark Tarpauline
Posting Freak

posted on 22-5-2007 at 17:54 Reply With Quote
with my daily mail hat on, if it's incest becoming acceptable now, it'll be paedophilia next year!!
Currently listening to:
View Spark Tarpauline's Profile E-Mail Spark Tarpauline View All Posts By Spark Tarpauline U2U Spark Tarpauline Spark Tarpauline's Gallery
Matt Paradise

Mood: Pimpin
posted on 22-5-2007 at 18:28 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by Spark Tarpauline

with my daily mail hat on, if it's incest becoming acceptable now, it'll be paedophilia next year!!

*crosses fingers*

I often go to sleep with pyjama bottoms, socks and a t-shirt on. When I awake I am naked. This is a popular phenomenon, known in scientific circles as theft. My family members steal my clothes in the night and sell them down the market. I often walk to work and see kids wearing the clothes that only the night before I was sleeping in. It is a disturbing development.

Currently listening to:
View Matt Paradise's Profile View All Posts By Matt Paradise U2U Matt Paradise
coolguynumber1

posted on 8-2-2008 at 20:32 Reply With Quote
why is incest still wrong?

incest is wrong because it is your family and you should never have sexual realtions or contact with one. its sick that your even asking this question, you are meant to be there for your family, to love and support them, not fuck them! have you fucked your sister or something because the way you are sticking up for incest, saying why is it wrong? makes it quite obvious you have had sexual contact with a member of your family. haven't you? sick bastard
Currently listening to:
View coolguynumber1's Profile View All Posts By coolguynumber1 U2U coolguynumber1
<<  1    2  >>

Not logged in
Last active: Never

Website developed by Simon Dyson 2003
Forum powered by XMB 1.8 Partagium Final Beta (Build: 14120211PM)
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group 2002
Processed in 0.1814990 seconds, 61 queries
Bad Behavior has blocked 236 access attempts in the last 7 days.