» Forum
» Today's Posts
» Stats

Threads: 7432
Members: 975

Hot Topic:
»
Newest Post:
» Cable TV meets the internet (Carl, 10-12-2016 - 13:35)
Member of The Day:
» (No posts)
Newest Member:
» onzappe (4-7-2008)

» Who's Online []
Guests: 4820 Guests
Members: 1 Member

Mercury Rising

Key []
Super Administrator
Administrators
Super Moderators
Moderators
All Registered Members

[ Members Visited Today ]

IndieSoc
Advanced Search

Printable Version | Send to Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
Author: Subject: Football League - 2007/08
TC

Mood: Safe as f***
posted on 14-6-2007 at 10:19 Reply With Quote
Football League - 2007/08

The BBC Sport website has been updated with the new teams for 07/08, think its time we had a fresh thread!

The fixtures have been released, maybe its time for some preliminary predictions?

I feel Reading could struggle this season, its all about confidence and their first three games are Man U, Chelsea and Everton. I fancy them to lose all 3, then lose to Bolton in the 4th with the lack of confidence resulting in them losing subsequent points to west ham, wigan and sunderland.

The second weekend of the season is tasty, man city v man u and liverpool v chelsea.

Chelsea v Man U is scheduled for April 28th!!! Though March 28th will probably be labelled day of destiny, its chelsea v arsenal and man u v liverpool.

All of the big 4 have, on paper, 'easy' run-ins.

At the bottom, aside from Wigan's last game of the season being Man U, the teams we might have expected to be down there also have ordinary run-ins, there are no obvious death matches such as Derby - Birmingham. Perhaps when it comes to it though things might look different.

[Edited on 3/7/2007 by dunnerz]

http://groups.msn.com/thetcfunpicarea - you're one stop shop for quality pics in hotpants, crazy shirts, cultural and historical sites, and a lads holiday in ibiza

Currently listening to:
View TC's Profile Visit TC's Homepage View All Posts By TC U2U TC TC's Gallery MSN Profile
dunnerz

Mood: 9-to-5
posted on 15-6-2007 at 12:22 Reply With Quote
Good work with the new thread.

Some 'early' predictions.

No one will break the "top 4"
Both Liverpool and Arsenal will raise their game after poor league performances last season, so despite Everton and Spurs strengthening, so will both Liverpool and Arsenal.

I actually think the premiership race could end up a 3 horse race this year - down to the last few games - although early contenders already have to be Man U.

Staying up (out of the 3 new commers) - Brum + Sunderland (not saying Derby going down, just think that the other 2 have enough about them to stay up).

Relegation battle (apart from the 3 coming up) - Wigan, Man City, Fulham - with Wigan surely now favorite to drop.

I agree with TC about Reading possibly struggling (like Wigan have in their 2nd season - momentum dropped, etc).

Currently listening to:
View dunnerz's Profile E-Mail dunnerz Visit dunnerz's Homepage View All Posts By dunnerz U2U dunnerz dunnerz's Gallery dunnerz 's ICQ status MSN Profile
dunnerz

posted on 21-6-2007 at 10:05 Reply With Quote
Chelski top seeded at last!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6225688.stm

Currently listening to:
View dunnerz's Profile E-Mail dunnerz Visit dunnerz's Homepage View All Posts By dunnerz U2U dunnerz dunnerz's Gallery dunnerz 's ICQ status MSN Profile
dunnerz

posted on 24-6-2007 at 14:24 Reply With Quote
I don't need to post a link, but we all know Henry is going.

Right - well, yes it is bad news for Arsenal + the Premiership. But what will be the worst news for Arsenal is making the Vieria mistake - which is not replacing him.

Yes Henry has gone, but to be fair, he was going to go one day anyway (be that leaving as he has, or through age) - so the club will move on - but what is important now is spending some cash and brining in quality replacement + spending the money we needed to spend at the start of the summer (a couple of wingers).

Still 1 good thing to come of this - it was widely agreed that Henry wasn't a good captain, at least it gives someone else a chance now!

Good luck to him at Barca (although I wonder if the usual curse of players leaving Arsenal will strike.....)

Currently listening to:
TC

posted on 25-6-2007 at 10:34 Reply With Quote
I'm afraid to say it could be a tough season at the Emirates this season, not just because Henry has gone - I seriously think they will drop out of the top 4 this season, and the way things are going I reckon it will be Spurs that replace them - but we shall see

http://groups.msn.com/thetcfunpicarea - you're one stop shop for quality pics in hotpants, crazy shirts, cultural and historical sites, and a lads holiday in ibiza

Currently listening to:
View TC's Profile Visit TC's Homepage View All Posts By TC U2U TC TC's Gallery MSN Profile
dunnerz

posted on 25-6-2007 at 15:01 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by TC

I'm afraid to say it could be a tough season at the Emirates this season, not just because Henry has gone - I seriously think they will drop out of the top 4 this season, and the way things are going I reckon it will be Spurs that replace them - but we shall see

In the same way you've predicted this impending gloom for the past 2 seasons?

It will depend on the replacement i.e. will there be one? It'll also depend on keeping Van Persie fit.

Saying that, Henry only scored 10 league goals last season (and started very few league games - around 14/15), and our goal difference was still +25 on 5th placed spurs, and +12 on 6th place Everton - and we scored more goals than 3rd placed liverpool - so if we tighten our defence up that'll improve.

We still managed to beat Spurs, Man U, (liverpool?) and draw with Chelsea (twice) without Henry.

If this was after a season that Henry had scored 30+ goals and similar amount of assists, I'd be more worried - but last season almost provided a transition from Henry to no Henry.

As I said, it is all about the replacement(s).

Currently listening to:
TC

posted on 25-6-2007 at 15:30 Reply With Quote
True - but perhaps this time, my prediction will be more credible. I'm not necessarily saying they will drop out of the top 4 because of Henry - though I must point out that although his role was diminished last season compared to the year before, he did still get some pretty crucial and match-winning goals - but at the tail end of last season Spurs were looking more of a force than the season before when they literally just missed out on 4th (and you were lucky, no matter how its dressed up) and they seem to be adding to their amunition. Therefore, the way things stand, I'd say there is a good chance Spurs will overtake you. Everton also had a good season, and again they seem to be adding to the ranks and strengthening. Also, there are continued mumblings that all is not well behind the scenes at the Emirates.

Currently listening to:
dunnerz

posted on 2-7-2007 at 08:25 Reply With Quote
Sometimes it is so frustraing being an Arsenal fan.

What did we need last week - some good PR, so good new signings - what did we get - nothing from the club apart form PHW saying that Henry's reasons for leaving were an excuse - with 1 small statement at the end saying "yes there are 1 or 2 players Arsene would like to bring in"

Now, I know that Arsenal have always done their transfers 100% behind closed doors where possible, and I don't think that for one minute that Arsene and the board are sitting on their arse - however, given that we have lost one of our greatest players of the modern era/ever it would be nice if we just made some positive comments - just Wenger saying "yes we are looking for some players" just some reassurance.

Grrrrrrrrr.

Still, as I said - it's the way it has always been done, there are still a week or 2 before pre season, 7 weeks until the season starts, 10weeks until the window shuts, so there is plenty of time for players. Still, I'd like something to happen this week or next week - before I go mad stressing over it!!

Currently listening to:
jazzy

Mood: discombobulated
posted on 2-7-2007 at 10:11 Reply With Quote
everton's distinct lack of activity in the transfer market is starting to irritate me somewhat too.

gutted that fernando torres is signing for liverpool. always really liked him but obviously that'll change the second he plays for that shower of shite...

"In descending order of vehemence, my objections to the Tory species stem from a) everything they do, b) everything they say, c) everything they stand for, d) how they look, e) their stupid names and f) the noises I imagine they make in bed."

Currently listening to:
View jazzy's Profile Visit jazzy's Homepage View All Posts By jazzy U2U jazzy jazzy's Gallery MSN Profile
jazzy

posted on 2-7-2007 at 10:21 Reply With Quote
btw, its still far too early to start on the predictions trail when there are many weeks of the transfer window left open. at the moment, i think everton will probably finish in 8th or 9th based on the funds available elsewhere but you just don't know who'll buy who.

"In descending order of vehemence, my objections to the Tory species stem from a) everything they do, b) everything they say, c) everything they stand for, d) how they look, e) their stupid names and f) the noises I imagine they make in bed."

Currently listening to:
View jazzy's Profile Visit jazzy's Homepage View All Posts By jazzy U2U jazzy jazzy's Gallery MSN Profile
Manic_Paul

Mood: No Mood.
posted on 2-7-2007 at 10:34 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by dunnerz

Sometimes it is so frustraing being an Arsenal fan.

What did we need last week - some good PR, so good new signings - what did we get - nothing from the club apart form PHW saying that Henry's reasons for leaving were an excuse - with 1 small statement at the end saying "yes there are 1 or 2 players Arsene would like to bring in"

Now, I know that Arsenal have always done their transfers 100% behind closed doors where possible, and I don't think that for one minute that Arsene and the board are sitting on their arse - however, given that we have lost one of our greatest players of the modern era/ever it would be nice if we just made some positive comments - just Wenger saying "yes we are looking for some players" just some reassurance.

Grrrrrrrrr.

Still, as I said - it's the way it has always been done, there are still a week or 2 before pre season, 7 weeks until the season starts, 10weeks until the window shuts, so there is plenty of time for players. Still, I'd like something to happen this week or next week - before I go mad stressing over it!!

Better?

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=474738&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Croatia+striker+Eduardo+da+Silva+s et+to+join+Arsenal

Currently listening to:
View Manic_Paul's Profile View All Posts By Manic_Paul U2U Manic_Paul
jazzy

posted on 2-7-2007 at 11:23 Reply With Quote
not exactly setting the world alight there though are you?!

Currently listening to:
dunnerz

posted on 2-7-2007 at 11:51 Reply With Quote
I claim responsibility for that signing - re: my rant!!

Not world class, but will complement RvP + Adebayor nicely.

If we add Tevez + a winger into that, I'll be well happy.

Currently listening to:
dunnerz

posted on 2-7-2007 at 11:57 Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by jazzy

Wasn't the same said when we signed a certain semi-unknown Thierry Henry??
(although clearly this bloke will never be as good as him)

He did score the 1st competitive goal at the 'grove though!!!

It is a step in the right direction

Currently listening to:
jazzy

posted on 2-7-2007 at 12:29 Reply With Quote
Quote:

Quote:

thierry henry wasn't an unknown. he was an established french international who had played in france at the top level for several seasons, followed by a season in serie a. his £11 million price tag also suggests he wasn't exactly unknown too...

Currently listening to:
dunnerz

posted on 2-7-2007 at 13:15 Reply With Quote
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

thierry henry wasn't an unknown. he was an established french international who had played in france at the top level for several seasons, followed by a season in serie a. his £11 million price tag also suggests he wasn't exactly unknown too...

He wasn't a know striker - in fact, he was a winger at the time, and have a very shit season for Juve - unless I'm wrong, be he only scored a goal or two that entire season.

This bloke shouldn't be an unknown - he scored against England

Okay, this is not Seria A, La Liga or the premiership - this bloke (as Baptista proved) may not adapt, however this isn't bad to go by:

Quote:
When Eduardo scored twice in the Zagreb derby on May 12th this year, he became the all-time leading scorer of Croatia's First League, breaking a 13-year-old record of 29 goals set by former Dinamo striker Goran Vlaovi&#263; in the 1993-94 season. Eduardo finished the league season with 34 goals from 32 appearances, and he is also the first player to score a hat-trick in a derby between Dinamo and Hajduk Split, a game Dinamo won 3-0 on May 19th, 2007.

Eduardo has scored 7 times in 12 appearances for the national team.

Hmm - that isn't quite written correctly - he scored the most goals in a season, ever, in the croatian 1st league!

Yes, I'm clutching at straws - big time.

We still need a pacey winger or 2.

Currently listening to:
dunnerz

posted on 2-7-2007 at 14:23 Reply With Quote
This has convinced me!

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,2095000,00.html

(written about a month ago!)

Currently listening to:
jazzy

posted on 2-7-2007 at 14:43 Reply With Quote
i stand corrected! apparently his fee was somewhere in the region of £16 million...

Currently listening to:
dunnerz

posted on 2-7-2007 at 15:54 Reply With Quote
Quote:

i stand corrected! apparently his fee was somewhere in the region of £16 million...

I have read that too - but I really find it hard to believe that Wenger would really pay that much - it worries me - he doesn't often spend money, I'm not sure if he know what to do with it!!!

Currently listening to:
dunnerz

posted on 2-7-2007 at 20:26 Reply With Quote
i said all last season we need a 'fox in the box' a finisher, etc etc.

We so got that player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfXGOGzEAwk

For a team that had more attempts on goal than chelsea (last season), da silva (if he can adapt to the premiership) will be amazing!!

Currently listening to:
jazzy

posted on 3-7-2007 at 09:54 Reply With Quote
do you reckon he gets a nosebleed outside the box?! looks good though - hope for your sake he can make the step-up from the croatian league as £10-£16 million is a lot for you guys...

Currently listening to:
dunnerz

posted on 3-7-2007 at 11:03 Reply With Quote
Quote:

do you reckon he gets a nosebleed outside the box?! looks good though - hope for your sake he can make the step-up from the croatian league as £10-£16 million is a lot for you guys...

Yeah - can't see him scoring from more than 6 yards

Apparently Wenger has the whole of the extra tv money (40m) to spend - which would be nice. Hill-Wood said there is still plenty going on behind the scenes - interesting!

Missed your earlier post re everton and torres.
Still plenty of time for everton to make some signings - do you think nugent is still on?? Or are there other areas you'd like to see first?

I think liverpool are over paying for torres - but as usual, liverpool over pay for, and over hype a player, who usually doesn't do as well as should be expected. But he is a good player, and its always good to have the best in the premier league.

Incidentally - now Henry has gone, who do you think is the best striker in the premiership now.

(Obviously RvP and da Silva aside ...... )

I would have to say it is between Berbatov and Drogba (I never count Rooney as an out and out striker, although really he should be on my list there).

It hurts to say, but I'm edging towards Berbatov - despite Drogba's impressive last season, Berbatov has impressed more in his first season, than Drogba did in his first 2 - so if he carries on at the current rate.......

Currently listening to:
jazzy

posted on 3-7-2007 at 11:17 Reply With Quote
the best strikers in the league for me are drogba, berbatov and rooney. will be interesting to see how torres and da silva adapt to the league.

the nugent thing is frustrating but i think the board are doing the right thing (for once). moyes only wants to spend £4 million on him but preston want something in the region of £6-£7 million. however, he's made it clear he wants to play for us (as he's a lifelong fan) over west ham, sunderland and portsmouth and his contract runs out at the end of the season so if preston won't accept £4 million now, they'll run the risk of losing him for nothing in may or a reduced fee in january. guess we'll test their nerve and see what happens. just hope he doesn't get sick of waiting and join someone else in the meantime. with johnson and vaughan at the club, plus beattie, mcfadden and anichebe, strikers are on area that we're not short of. if nugent did come then i could see beattie and maybe mcfadden leaving though.

what we really need is a quality defensive midfielder (apparently we're getting jagielka which isn't that great but he'll do), someone who can play wide left or wide right in midfield (apparently this might be jason koumas), a central defender to provide cover for lescott and yobo and a left back to allow lescott to move back into the middle.

Currently listening to:
jazzy

posted on 3-7-2007 at 11:20 Reply With Quote
btw, i think liverpool are paying about £6 million too much for torres but if he adapts (which i think he will) then they've got a brilliant, brilliant player who we may well be talking of as the best striker in the premier league come next summer.

Currently listening to:
Manic_Paul

Mood: No Mood.
posted on 3-7-2007 at 12:59 Reply With Quote
Quote:

That was the fee quoted by the Dinamo Zagreb Chairman. BBC Sport and Sky Sports both believe it's £7-8 million, which I believe is far more believable!

Currently listening to:
View Manic_Paul's Profile View All Posts By Manic_Paul U2U Manic_Paul
<<  1    2    3    4  >>

Not logged in
Last active: Never

Website developed by Simon Dyson 2003
Forum powered by XMB 1.8 Partagium Final Beta (Build: 14120211PM)
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group 2002
Processed in 0.1821039 seconds, 60 queries
Bad Behavior has blocked 236 access attempts in the last 7 days.