» Forum
» Today's Posts
» Stats

Threads: 7432
Members: 975

Hot Topic:
»
Newest Post:
» Cable TV meets the internet (Carl, 10-12-2016 - 13:35)
Member of The Day:
» (No posts)
Newest Member:
» onzappe (4-7-2008)

» Who's Online []
Guests: 799 Guests
Members: 1 Member

jazzy

Key []
Super Administrator
Administrators
Super Moderators
Moderators
All Registered Members

[ Members Visited Today ]

IndieSoc
Advanced Search

Printable Version | Send to Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: What have you been listening to in 2013?
Matt Paradise

Mood: Pimpin
posted on 9-8-2013 at 07:36 Reply With Quote
What have you been listening to in 2013?

You don't have to list everything

Recent listens:

Washed Out - Paracosm

Rather disappoinitng and very bland - I'v listened to this a few times now, and I can still barely remember anything past track 3!

Yuck - Rebirth

This is a fantastic comeback single - Yuck have lost some of their 'grunginess', but still remain resolutely early 90s - this has shades of shoegaze in the guitars and a nice, poppy melody.

Pale Fountains

Just discovered this 80s indiepop/post-punk band - it features a pre-Shack Mick Head (anyone remember Shack? I saw them once, supporting the Manics at their Millenium gig. They were rather dull, but Pale Fountains are great!).

I often go to sleep with pyjama bottoms, socks and a t-shirt on. When I awake I am naked. This is a popular phenomenon, known in scientific circles as theft. My family members steal my clothes in the night and sell them down the market. I often walk to work and see kids wearing the clothes that only the night before I was sleeping in. It is a disturbing development.

Currently listening to:
View Matt Paradise's Profile View All Posts By Matt Paradise U2U Matt Paradise
i am sam
I should get a life

Mood: sam i am
posted on 9-8-2013 at 09:01 Reply With Quote
I keep coming back to the latest album by The Men. Classic American indie rock.

Also, the new Sonny and the Sunsets album is a weird Jonathan Richmond-esque concept album about falling in love with an alien. But absolutely brilliant at the same time.

And I should also mention the Eleanor Friedberger album, which has a few overly quirky songs but is what is traditionally referred to as 'a grower'.

Plus all the usual. Vampire Weekend, Nick Cave, Yo La Tengo etc.

Currently listening to:
View i am sam's Profile View All Posts By i am sam U2U i am sam i am sam's Gallery
Matt Paradise

posted on 9-8-2013 at 10:51 Reply With Quote
Yes, the Nick Cave album is very good! Reminds me of mid-90s PJ Harvey in a way. Vampire Weekend was pleasant enough, but I haven't been inspired to keep going back to it.

I will check out your other recommendations, Sam.

Earlier this year I have also listened to:

Atoms for Peace - Amok. Really good, much better than The Eraser (though nothing as good as the title track, Harrowdown Hill and Cymbal Rush)

MBV - m b v Definitely a good album, but Loveless casts a large shadow.

Daft Punk - RAM Some great stuff, and some rather tedious stuff. Sounds like it's on shuffle, there's no real flow at all.

New Order - Lost Sirens Actually not that bad - it's all solid 'middle'. nothing as good as the highlights from the last album (Who's Joe, Turn, Guilt... etc) but nothing as bad as Jet or Dracula's Castle! I love how most of the lyrics seem to be about Hooky, even though they're probably not.

Suede - Bloodsports. A nice return to form - best album they've done since DMS, though obviously they've had amazing songs in between.

Everything Everything - Arc. Disappointing, apart Kemosabe and Cough Cough. Just can't remember most of the songs, they all sound like a grey lump, which is worlds away from the varied sound of the debut.

Foxygen - We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic. Fun album, I enjoy playing "Who is this song really by" when listening.

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II. Solid.

Foals - Holy Fire. Never been a big fan of Foals, but there are several good tunes on this.

Johnny Marr - The Messenger. Just a really good guitar record. Also my favourite gig of the year!

David Bowie - The Next Day. Disappointing - don't think this was even as good as Reality! Some really bland, stodgy, AOR tracks in the middle pull this album right down

Low - The Invisible Way. Really nice, melodic and sad. Standard Low album, but you get what you (don't) pay for with Low!

The Strokes - Comedown Machine. Great tune after great tune. Don't think there's a bad song on here! I know it's terribly uncool to like The Strokes, but I really enjoy this album.

Peace - In Love. Fairly solid debut - gets a bit bland and there are 2 songs that sounds exactly the same, I seem to recall!

The Flaming Lips - The Terror. Very dense and difficult to listen to. I still haven't given it a proper chance, yet.

BSP - Machineries of Joy. Very disappointing. Maybe because of all the demo EPs they put out, so the songs were already familiar, but this is the worst album they've done. Just very low key and lacking in zest.

James Blake - Overgrown. OK

The Knife - Shaking the Habitual. Bit of a chore, to be honest!

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito. Initially good, I've barely listened to it since it leaked.

Camera Obscura - Desire Lines. So boring, I turned it off halfway through.

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest. Truly excellent - one of the best of the year so far.

Medicine - To The Happy Few. Only listened once so far, so can't judge it. Sounds interesting on first listen!

Beady Eye - BE (LOL) I though it might be alright! Flick of the Finger was good! But it's pretty boring, obvs.

Kanye West - Yeezus. Even though it's pretty rough and ready, I really liked this. Some vicious music and lyrics.

I often go to sleep with pyjama bottoms, socks and a t-shirt on. When I awake I am naked. This is a popular phenomenon, known in scientific circles as theft. My family members steal my clothes in the night and sell them down the market. I often walk to work and see kids wearing the clothes that only the night before I was sleeping in. It is a disturbing development.

Currently listening to:
if_only_ralph_were_real
I should get a life

Mood:
posted on 9-8-2013 at 11:33 Reply With Quote
Some of these are from last year, but they still get played regularly. Off the top of my head:

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito. I've probably only listened to it a couple of times. Saw them at Latitude and they played the four/five most bearable tracks.

Bleached - Ride your heart

Retro Stefson - Retro Stefson

Samaris - Samaris

Karin Park - Highwire Poetry

Future of the Left - The Plot Against Common Sense

Veronica Falls - Waiting for Something to Happen

Wild Flag - Wild Flag

Har Mar Superstar - Bye Bye Seventeen

Austra - Olympia

College - Heritage

Feathers - If All Here Now

Cayucas - Bigfoot

Gabriel Bruce - Love in Arms

Daughter - Daughter

Savages - Silence Yourself

M

Get a haircut, tuck your shirt in, be an artist

Currently listening to:
View if_only_ralph_were_real's Profile E-Mail if_only_ralph_were_real View All Posts By if_only_ralph_were_real U2U if_only_ralph_were_real
blown away
I should get a life

Mood: self indulgent
posted on 9-8-2013 at 11:43 Reply With Quote
I'm not sure I listened to a lot of "indie" (is that still even a thing?) The Yo la tengo album was good and I quite liked the Bowie one (I wasn't expecting much so it came as a good surprise)...

Other than that, Vampire Weekend and that's about it I guess. I quite like the last Elvis Costello album but that's not indie at all, more old time bluesy ballads. Other than that, I really liked Michael Kiwanuka, which you might find very mainstream but fine songs on there and was pleasantly surprised by Rumer who released a fine album of covers.

Last night I heard someone say something that sounded like a perfect witty indiesoc forum signature, unfortunately I forgot all about it.

Currently listening to:
View blown away's Profile E-Mail blown away View All Posts By blown away U2U blown away blown away's Gallery MSN Profile   blown+away 's Yahoo
Matt Paradise

posted on 9-8-2013 at 11:46 Reply With Quote
I forgot about Savages! Great album, but they are so po-faced that they annoy me sometimes. I watched the Glasto set on Iplayer and I just wanted the singer to slip on a banana or something

Currently listening to:
jazzy

Mood: discombobulated
posted on 9-8-2013 at 13:52 Reply With Quote
i can't really remember what i've listened to, but here's a commentary of what's on my iphone from this year:

atoms for peace - was suprised by how much i enjoyed this

big deal - really enjoyable, scuzzy and melodic fun

boards of canada - not quite in the same league as previous releases, but even so, it's fucking awesome.

bonobo - bit of a let down, compared to previous releases if i'm honest. really couldn't get into it.

bristish sea power - much as it upsets me to say this, but it was really dull.

nick cave - nasty and dirty. i like it a lot.

the child of lov - quite fluffy and not worthy of the hype that was given to if beforehand.

daft punk - amazing. know there's been some backlash, but i absolutely love it.

daughter - like the xx songs led by romy, but not as good. given the xx are brilliant, that's not to say daughter aren't brilliant though. their cover of get lucky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Cp55MvX54) is wonderful.

deap valley - dumb and fun. nothing substantial to it at all, but the sort of album you could throw on to walk home to and you'd have a smile on your face. nothing more, nothing less.

deerhunter - this one has divided opinion between people i know. i don't think this is a patch on cryptograms or halcyon digest (or his atlas sound work), but i know people who have really enjoyed the garage-ethic he's taken. different horses and all that jazz...

everything everything - again, divisive amongst many people but i'm on the side of the fence who think they're great. so there.

foals - their best album yet - a band who are a novelty in this day and age in that they really have evolved so much from their early days (as opposed to the usual first album great, second shite and then get dropped). incredible live band.

jagwar ma - i was disappointed with this, given how wonderful the singles were. still, come save me is still an absolutely incredible song and they're worth investigating for that alone.

john grant - the first half is the best first half of an album this year. the second hald tails off quite badly though.

jon hopkins - sonically, a wonderful album. you can tell the guy has worked with brian eno for as long as he has. really very good indeed anyway, very highly recommend it.

kanye west - the guy is a douchebag of EPIC proportions. but he's a douchebag who keeps making brilliant albums.

kurt vile - a bit sprawling and not really as good as his last album.

my bloody valentine - at last.

the national - better than high violet, but not a patch on alligator or boxer. a brilliant, brilliant band who tell brilliant stories. if it wasn't for the magnificence of their earlier work, this would have got more attention than it has i think.

neon neon - not a patch on the first album, but apparently you need to see the live show to really 'get' this album. i'm jealous of those who have seen it.

night beds - don't know why, but there's something of the good era of ryan adams about this, or my morning jacket possibly. anyway, very enjoyable.

parquet courts - dirty, scuzzy, fun. like guided by voices, crossed with pavement, crossed with the fall (but an amercian version).

peace - britpop.

phoenix - let down compared to their previous work, but in isolation it is still a pretty good album

public service broadcasting - like dj shadow, crossed with early idlewild. very odd combination but somehow it works!

queens of the stone age - again, a let down compared to previous stuff

savages - intense album, not an easy listen at all. really superb though.

she & him - fluff.

sigur ros - bit of a return to form after some disappointing returns recently.

the strokes - definitely better than the last album, but comfortably not as good as the others.

these new puritans - joint album of the year for me so far. absolutely incredible piece of music.

vampire weekend - my other favourite. beautifully written collection of pop songs.

yeah yeah yeahs - their worst album to date. still passable, but not a patch on the previous three. shame, because the lead single is possibly my favourite song of theirs.

i know there are others i've heard too, but i'm without a prompt...!

"In descending order of vehemence, my objections to the Tory species stem from a) everything they do, b) everything they say, c) everything they stand for, d) how they look, e) their stupid names and f) the noises I imagine they make in bed."

Currently listening to:
View jazzy's Profile Visit jazzy's Homepage View All Posts By jazzy U2U jazzy jazzy's Gallery MSN Profile
Matt Paradise

posted on 9-8-2013 at 14:11 Reply With Quote
Oh yes, I forgot about The National! That's a really good album, unlike High Violet, it's really consistently good the whole way through.

Public Service Broadcasting - my initial thought is it was like British Sea Power covering early Boards of Canada

Jagwar Ma is fun, but a bit slight. Good singles, as you said.

Kurt Vile - definitely weaker than his last album. Nice atmospheric songs, but all a bit too similar sounding.

Deap Valley album is fun, but definitely not a keeper.

Currently listening to:
kittykat
Posting Freak

Mood: No Mood.
posted on 12-8-2013 at 21:34 Reply With Quote
most listened to is the daughter album because my office mate is obsessed with it. i think i've heard it over a hundred times. i quite like it.

love the eleanor friedberger album, the lyrics are fantastic.

honourable mentions to john grant, the staves, night beds, local natives, big deal, leisure society and sweet baboo.

i'm going to get the cayucas album at the weekend.

looking forward to the second anna calvi album too, there's a bit of the bassey about her. new laura veirs sounds nice as well. oh and the king krule album is going to be amazing.

also been listening to john mayall & the bluesbreakers as i'm learning to play the blues.

highly recommend the alpine album if you've not heard it...https://play.spotify.com/album/0iOoO27AFooHMpyqZ6qUJ8 especially the song villages.

Stay out super late tonight
picking apples, making pies
put a little something in our lemonade and take it with us
we??re half-awake in a fake empire

Currently listening to:
View kittykat's Profile View All Posts By kittykat U2U kittykat kittykat's Gallery

Not logged in
Last active: Never

Website developed by Simon Dyson 2003
Forum powered by XMB 1.8 Partagium Final Beta (Build: 14120211PM)
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group 2002
Processed in 0.0729940 seconds, 43 queries
Bad Behavior has blocked 128 access attempts in the last 7 days.